Sunday, January 24, 2021

 A faded photograph ~

We were new in town, having come from a very warm and loving environment to a place where the climate was quite cold and some of the parishioners colder. I, as the new lady in the parsonage was a bit of a chew in that I wore jeans, had a sassy haircut, and just opened my arms to everyone, especially the man in the pulpit. I knew way too much about the ministry having lived in someone else’s house most of my life, with my daddy being a preacher man. . . I was about to be educated on a different plane.  There were about a dozen women in this church that had been hand picked by the pastor to represent ‘the preacher’s wife.’ His wife preferred a low profile and came to church seldom—she had no platform—she was the ‘perfect preacher’s wife.’ I’ve never been perfect and I’m rarely silent. I know you get the ‘picture.’ I found out my ‘sin’ was that I painted pictures ~ Oh, my!

… a woman asked me to have lunch with her and when we were seated in her very lofty, spiritual voice she began the conversation with these words: ‘How in the world can you be an artist and a Christian’? Needless to say I was stunned by her audacity; yet I gathered my wits about me and answered:  ‘Through art, God has placed people into my life that otherwise I would never have known…how better to be Jesus than by sharing something in common as a mode of travel from one heart to another’? I don’t remember her ever speaking to me again…she certainly never said..’let’s do lunch’…nor did she ever say; ‘let’s do church’…


We now live in our own house and I’m still painting and need I say, Jesus is still crazy about me ~ (pwoods)

5 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you,Carol - you are such a dear as you keep up with us and with our DIL, Lisa. Thank you for your love through the years!

      Delete
  2. How unfortunate that some people didn’t recognize the Creator in the talent of the created!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our talent was given as a means to share life with others

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes He is crazy about you, oh my the ignorance of People ! God the Ultimate creator made us in His image and just as we laugh and weep ( as He does) we create using the gifts He gave us - be those gifts, words, music , paint , clay or whatever - Thank God you kept keeping on!

    ReplyDelete